Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Interview: Goatboy

Not many artists record their debut EP via email with musicians in several countries. Not many unsigned artists make their debut live performance, supporting a multi-million selling solo artist at the pinnacle of their career. It is safe to say that the short history of Goatboy has been quite unusual and eventful. As work begins on his debut album we find Goatboy in good spirits.

What do you feed a Goatboy?

Strangely enough my favourite kinda cheese is goats cheese, does that make me a cannibal?
  
Has having hooves affected your guitar playing?

Hooves are great for power chords, not so good for the slow numbers... 

How did the name come about?

I went through a big Bill Hicks phase years ago, he has an alter ego called Goatboy so i ended up calling my myspace page it and for good or bad it stuck ever since...

Has bill hicks been a big influence on your songwriting rather than your political views?

Na, not at all...I was asked by the directors of that Bill Hicks film released last year to play before it's premier, I felt it would be a bad move as my music doesn't have any kind of reflection on Bill Hicks other than the name...Anyway's, he was a big fan of Tool, I don't think he'd be too happy with some chap playing ballads before his film... 

You first came to AIMR's attention representing Japan on the Fast Forward: The World Cup Goes Indie compilation.. Tell us about the song was it written specifically for the compilation. If so was it with Japan in mind?

I got an old keyboard off a mate as he was throwing it out, it was nothing special, just one of those Casio ones you get for your ninth birthday...The keys part you hear at the start is the first thing I played on it...Once I knew I had to write a song for Japan I kinda just worked the whole song around that part...I think I demoed it at home and then went to a mates house and cranked it up on his pro tools rig... 

How did you end up on the compilation?

I think I just got an email from Kev who runs Indicator records...He said I could choose my own country, twas great fun, I hope he does it again for the European championships... 

Why wasn't it on the debut EP?

It wouldn't of fitted and besides I think it was written after the EP was released... 

We believe your debut performance as Goatboy came supporting KT Tunstall in the Olympia How did it go?

It was great, very blurry though, hopefully we'll play there again someday... 

How does an unsigned act go about pulling off such a coup?

My mate Alan Marshall who was playing that night asked me to come on and play a few of my own tunes...We were briefly in a band together... I've just done some backing vocals for his debut album so I'm still returning the favour...  

Tell us about the "Moon After Yule" EP?

Moon After Yule is my first EP. It's basically just a collection of glorified bedroom demos, listening back now I'm pissed off I didn't do the songs more justice and record them in a proper studio but you have to start somewhere I suppose...One or two of the songs might make it onto the album in a grander form.. 

How and where did you record it?

It was recorded in various bedrooms and basements in Dublin and Norway...I'd record bits here and then email tracks over to a friend in Norway who'd then layer some drums and bass... I got Ian Mc Nulty who done the new Ambience Affair record to mix a couple of them... In the end I got it mastered in Abbey road. It was a long process but it got done in the end 

New Moon, is our favourite song off of the EP tell us about the song?

Glad you like, that's one of the songs I think deserves a better recording so I might resurrect it for the album. It started off as a quiet acoustic number but I got a bit carried away in the studio and went all Camera Obscura on it in the end...  

You've been working on material for your first album proper .How is that progressing?

We properly started recording today actually... I've been writing and demoing for the last 3 years but I think I've around 30 songs there that will probably do the first and second album...It's not gonna be as folky as the ep, expect some big pop arrangements in the vain of Richard Hawley and The La's... 

Has the recording process differed from the EP?

The gear is a bit better so were going to record a bit at home and hopefully some in the studio...What ever the songs deserve. 

When can we expect to hear it?

2012 will be the year of the goat... 

What do you think of the Irish music scene at the moment ?

It's great but a lot of great releases are not getting the backing they deserve which is sad...In saying that there is a lot of over hyped bands that I can't see what all the fuss is about... 

Who floats your boat specifically?

It changes... I'm more a fan of great albums rather than great bands... At the moment I'm loving Yuck and Warpaint...

What can people expect from a Goatboy gig?

Just a band trying its damnedest to do their songs justice...   

Whats next for Goatboy?

Recording the album and rehearsing for our gigs at the end of the month...We'll be trying out some new tunes acoustic in Whelan's on the 25th and The Academy on the 29th... 

Go to http://soundcloud.com/goatboymusic to listen to seven Goatboy songs including demo's from the forthcoming album.

www.facebook.com/goatboyofficial

No comments: